Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dear Lesbian Singer-Songwriter,

I have just found out that my wife of eight years is having an affair with a co-worker (mine, not hers). I feel betrayed, abandoned, and terribly alone. What did I do wrong? Am I the only one to feel this way? Furthermore, we have two children, and I believe that they should grow up with both their father and mother. Should I stay with my wife for the sake of the children? Can I ever trust her again? Or should I leave her and set out to create a new life for myself?

-Where Did The Good Go?
WDTGG

Dear WDTGG,

I think you should know that you could simply tell your wife, "I'm sorry that I left you with your questions all alone, but I was too happy driving and too angry to drive home. I was thinking about the easy courage of my distant friends. They said I could let this bridge wash out and never make amends."

Can you blow this small town, make a big sound, like the star of a film noir postcard? Can you just forget the frames you shared with her? And can you believe what they're saying? They're saying you can change my mind, start over on Spring Street, that you're welcome anytime.

Yours, closer to fine,
Lesbian Singer-Songwriter

No comments: