Friday, August 22, 2008

Dear Lesbian Singer-Songwriter,

I was happily married to my husband for eight years, but over the past year have been having an affair with a co-worker (my husband's, not mine.) My husband has just found out. I have been struggling with my feelings of desire, constant craving, and a love like that which I have never known, versus my responsibilities and my place in society as a wife and mother. I still care deeply for my husband but have no romantic feelings toward him. Also, we have two young children whom I love very much. Should I stay with my husband for the sake of the children, or leave him to follow my true love, identity, and desire?

-In Love, In Des Moines, But Not At Peace
ILIDBNAP

Dear ILIDMBNAP,

It seems to me that this is a story of burning bridges and allowing time to pass. This is a story of forgiveness and breaking things in my hands. This is a story of understanding you can't choose who you love, and this is a story of soft skin and rats in the walls. Well, you can't just pass along the pain that comes around. You'll go dizzy until you fall and I know you didn't mean to let me down but you let me down so hard.

Some fantasies are never meant to be realized at all, and some regrets could be prevented if you read the writing on the wall. And sometimes you say you know nothing can happen, and then she leans over and lifts off your glasses. And the next thing you know you're just tangled and guilty and you've got a head full of liquor and perfume. Oh, and when did you leave me, and when did you find her and tell me is this just what you wanted?

Yours, sorrowfully,
Lesbian Singer-Songwriter

No comments: